FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For more information contact:
Nik Hanlon | email@example.com | 202-719-2418
ISIS AND AMERICA’S ACHILLES HEEL: A CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER TO THE ELECTRIC GRID – AND HOW IT CAN BE PREVENTED
National Experts to Discuss ‘Imminent,’ Existential Threat and Need for Urgent Action
Washington, D.C.: According to Judicial Watch, the U.S. government has evidence that the jihadist Islamic State is present in Juarez, Mexico – across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas – and the Texas Department of Public Safety believes there is evidence it plans an imminent attack in this country. In light of the latest murderous attack by this organization against an American journalist, Steven Sotloff, such threats must be taken with the utmost seriousness.
To examine this danger and the possibility that the Islamic State, either directly or through proxies like the Knights Templar drug cartel, or other enemies of the United States – could inflict existential damage upon this country by attacking its vulnerable electric grid, the Secure the Grid Coalition is convening an panel of leaders in the fight to prevent such an eventuality.
- Frank Gaffney,former Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs (Acting) and President and CEO of the Center for Security Policy, Moderator
- Michael Maloof, former senior security policy analyst in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, with nearly 30 years of federal service in the U.S. Defense Department and as a specialized trainer for border guards and Special Forces, and author of A Nation Forsaken: EMP: The Escalating Threat of an American Catastrophe. Mr. Maloof will give an overview of the threats posed to the U.S. electric grid and the critical infrastructures that depend upon it.
- Dr. Peter Vincent Pry, former career CIA analyst, member of the staff of the congressionally mandated Electromagnetic Pulse Threat Commission, Executive Director of the Congressional Task Force on National and Homeland Security and author of Apocalypse Unknown: The Struggle To Protect America From An Electromagnetic Pulse Catastrophe. Dr. Pry will address the particular danger posed by the Islamic State and similar jihadist groups, the risk of naturally occurring events that could take down the grid and the impediments to the needed corrective actions.
- Amb. Henry F. Cooper, PhD, is a mechanical engineer who formerly served as the Director of the Strategic Defense Initiative and formerDeputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Research, Development, and Logistics. In those capacities he oversaw steps taken by the Defense Department to ensure the resiliency of critical weapon systems against EMP effects. Dr. Cooper will explain what can be done to protect the grid against all hazards and the necessity of doing so.
- Kelly Carlson,an accomplished Hollywood actor who has been active on national and maritime security issues and serves as member of the Secure the Grid Coalition. Ms. Carlson will present several videos aimed at raising the awareness of the American people to the vulnerability of the electric grid and to encourage action by federal and state governments to protect the bulk power distribution system.
National Press Club
529 14th St NW, 13th Floor
Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 2:00-3:30 pm
About the Secure the Grid Coalition
The Secure the Grid Coalition is an ad hoc group of policy, energy, and national security experts, legislators, and industry insiders who are dedicated to strengthening the resiliency of America’s electrical grid. The Coalition aims to raise awareness about the national and international threat of grid vulnerability, an encourage the steps needed to neutralize it www.SecuretheGrid.com.